Jesus speaks: “The powers of death will not prevail against it” Believe it.
In yesterday’s Gospel from the Mass (Matt 16:13-19), Jesus makes a profound statement about His Catholic Church:
 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare’a Philip’pi, he asked his disciples, “Who do men say that the Son of man is?”  And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli’jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”  He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”  Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”  And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.  And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.  I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
In a world that rejects God and celebrates the culture of death, Jesus’ prophetic words about His Catholic Church give great comfort:
- We live in a time of great confusion; rebellious and arrogant people seek to deny the existence of God and attack His Catholic Church.
- At every turn, and in every corner of the media, vicious attacks are launched against the Church; though some criticisms have validity due to the fact that the Catholic Church is a church of sinners who can often sin, the unbalanced attacks reflect the evil at work in the world. For the Church’s enemies seek any reason to attack, and no reason to recognize the wonderful blessing that the Catholic Church has been to the world.
- The powers of death are rampant in the world; abortion, attempts to desecrate marriage, a self-focused narcissistic culture, sexual promiscuity, etc. All these ideas and acts lead to death. And death hates life. Darkness hates Light. Those who love sin hate those who aspire to holiness. Satan hates Christ.
- Despite all the attacks and the broad sinking into the culture of death, for the past 2000 years, the Church has withstood every attack, every internal riff, every setback; the Church endures. The Church is the one beacon of Light in a world obsessed with darkness and death.
- As Christ discloses, “…the powers of death will not prevail against it.”
AS the Son of God, Jesus Christ can not make mistakes. He has told us that the Church will endure. Praise our Lord Jesus Christ.